Am I Getting Proper Nutrition?
Nutrition (physiology) is the organic process of nourishing or being nourished; the processes by which an organism assimilates food and uses it for growth and maintenance.
Without proper nutrition you just can’t function optimally. You risk less than optimal performance in whatever you do, (physically, mentally, emotionally, etc), along with becoming more susceptible to illness and disease.
What are the physiological based nutrients that we need:
- Proteins – essential to growth and repair of muscle and other body tissues
- Fats – one source of energy and important in relation to fat soluble vitamins
- Carbohydrates – our main source of energy
- Minerals – those inorganic elements occurring in the body and which are critical to its normal functions
- Vitamins – water and fat soluble vitamins play important roles in many chemical processes in the body
- Water – essential to normal body function – as a vehicle for carrying other nutrients and because 60% of the human body is water
- Roughage – the fibrous indigestible portion of our diet essential to health of the digestive system
Now, with this knowledge the next step is to be able to identify the best sources of Nutrition. There is nutrition and then there is NUTRITION. We are concerned with the latter.
So educate yourself and read the other articles in our HEALTH section to gain a greater understanding on this important subject.